How to Make a Crystal Suncatcher – DIY
Bring some bohemian charm to your home with this easy-to-make crystal beads suncatcher. This DIY project is not only budget-friendly but also a great way to add some sparkle and colour to your space. In this post, we’ll guide you through the steps to create your own unique crystal beads suncatcher.
What is a Suncatcher?
A suncatcher is a decorative item that is hung in a window or other sunny location to catch and reflect light. It is tipically made of translucent or transparent materials, such as glass or plastic, so it reflects the rays of the sun in multiple luminous points and rainbow effects. Suncatchers work like a prism: when the light comes out of the prism it is no longer white but all seven different colours: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet. Suncatchers are often used to add a touch of color and brightness to a room, and can be enjoyed as they cast beautiful patterns of light on the surrounding surfaces.
Types of suncatchers
There are various types of suncatchers, including:
Glass suncatchers: Made from stained glass or colored glass, these suncatchers are often in the shape of animals, flowers, or other objects, and are prized for their beauty and intricate designs.
Beaded suncatchers: These suncatchers feature strings of beads that hang from a frame and catch the light. Beaded suncatchers are often colorful and can be found in a range of shapes and styles.
Crystal suncatchers: Made from cut crystal or glass, these suncatchers catch and reflect light in a rainbow of colors, adding a touch of elegance to any room.
Metal suncatchers: These suncatchers are made from metal, often in the shape of stars, moons, or other celestial objects. They may be painted or left in their natural metal color, and are often used to add a touch of rustic charm to a room.
DIY suncatchers: Made from a variety of materials, these suncatchers can be made in any shape or style, and can be a fun and creative activity for both adults and kids.
Overall, there are many types of suncatchers to choose from, making it easy to find one that suits your personal style and the decor of your home.
I personally love the crystal suncatchers, these are some of my favorite suncatchers:
(links for the source are available on each picture)
I clearly have a type of sun-catchers so I’ve gathered a list of materials that are needed to create these beautiful decoration articles.
Materials for crystal suncatcher
If you’re like me, and you like to make your own decor, here’s what you need:
- Crystal beads in various sizes and colours:
- Metal hoops in multiple shapes and sizes:
- Pendants shaped like the crescent moon, sun and stars
- Golden chain (example)
- Wire cutters (example)
- Pliers (example)
- Jump rings (example)
- Nylon thread or clear fishing line
Instructions to do a crystal suncatcher
- Start by visualizing what you want: lay down your crystals and star designing your suncatcher; adjust as needed;
2. when you’re happy with the design, cut the golden chain into a length of your desired size, using wire cutters;
3. Use pliers to open jump rings and attach them to each end of the chain;
4. Cut the nylon thread into a length that is longer than the chain.
5. Thread the crystal beads onto the nylon thread, alternating between sizes and colours, until you have reached your desired length;
6. Tie the two ends of the nylon thread together and knot tightly;
7. Cut a length of clear fishing line and tie it around the knot;
8. Tape the fishing line to the top of a window or door frame, making sure it’s taut.
9. Hang the chain with the crystal beads from the fishing line, using jump rings.
And that’s it! With this simple DIY project, you can add some bohemian glam to your home decor. You can also switch up the materials and colours to match your personal style and preferences. Have fun and happy crafting!